Monday, June 13, 2005

Drums Beating Louder

From the generally pro-war World Net Daily, Vox Day writes we should "End the Charade". This is good news. The drum beat to get US out of Iraq continues to grow.

The Vox Day article is so concisely written that it is hard to separate anything out, so you should read the entire thing yourself. However, the first two paragraphs give you a taste of the entire piece:

The cognitive dissonance required to believe the Bush administration is approaching critical mass. Some semblance of victory in the War on Method has been declared at least four times that I recall, and yet American troops are still being murdered on a weekly basis in free and democratic Iraq.

The armed forces are now reduced to lying about who killed its poster boys, putting its own troops on trial and revising its recruitment targets to disguise the fact that no amount of media triumphalism suffices to convince most young Americans that extending the Pax Americana to the Middle East is worth death by improvised explosive device.


I love the "War on Method" idea. Declaring a war on "terror", which is just a method for conflict, is rather silly when you think about it.

We also see that our old friend Walter Jones (R-House) received some national coverage this week on "This Week", promoting the latest bill to establish a time table for leaving Iraq.

A Republican congressman who voted for the
Iraq war said Sunday that "we've done about as much as we can do" in the country and that the reason for invading Iraq has proven false.

Rep. Walter Jones of North Carolina will be among the lawmakers introducing legislation this week calling for a timetable for the withdrawal of American troops in Iraq.

"When I look at the number of men and women who have been killed — it's almost 1,700 now, in addition to close to 12,000 have been severely wounded — and I just feel that the reason of going in for weapons of mass destruction, the ability of the Iraqis to make a nuclear weapon, that's all been proven that it was never there," Jones said on ABC's "This Week."


And finally, from bella ciao we see that the "Downing Street Memo" continues to create buzz on the internet:

Six weeks ago The Sunday Times published the leaked minutes of a July 2002 Downing Street meeting in which Tony Blair committed Britain to war in Iraq months before parliament was consulted.

[...]

By any standards these were fascinating revelations. Nothing, however, could have prepared us for what a worldwide impact the story would have. More than a month later it still features in the daily top 10 most popular stories on our website, with 330,000 people estimated to have logged on to read it.


Also, the Bolton nomination is falling off the radar screen and the Republicans will lose this battle unless they make a move.

The momentum seems to be with the antiwar folks, for now. As with any good scrum, however, any attempt to stop push will be disastrous.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called Hagel's office today after I saw his remarks about the latest abuse stories at Gitmo.....even thought he isn't my senator the woman was polite and took my name and address and phone and let me have my say. I tried to politely put the fear of God into them for even thinking about Iran next...

Then I called Hillary Clinton's office, said I am a suporter yada yada and would like to vote for her if she runs for prez...told her aide to tell her she is heading in the wrong direction cozying up to war mongers and religious freaks in order to be "central".. I think I said the feaking holy rollers here in the south wouldn't vote for her if she flew in on her wonder woman cape and personaly raptured them to heaven..so she should move back from the Iraq stance and ditch the israelis...when I said ditch the israelis I got a second of silence..so I elaborated...

Haven't gotten a letter from my congressman, Walter Jones on the one I sent him so I am calling his office tomorrow..

I am going to call at least one a daya , every day, two if I can summon the energy to hunt down a current statement them have made to grind on or praise them for...

We have 1,700 dead and 12,000 wounded reasons to demand some politicans hang...not to mention 100,000 dead civilians in Iraq...that's my position and I'am sticking to it.

Get on the phone and give them hell.

6/13/2005 08:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also wager that more than 330,000 people logged on to read the memo or about it at various sites...

I noticed that Conyers had yesterday near 500,000 signatures for his petition to investigate based on the DSM.

In the local Camp LeJeune base paper there was an insert this week offering $15,000 sign on bonus to enlist.

6/13/2005 09:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've attempted to contact Clinton by her website, about a few choice votes of hers with the neocons.

Got a reply.

Told me she didn't answer non-constituent inquiries.

Please remember that if a New York Senator asks you for funds to run for president: "Hillary who??" "From where?"

About that congressman from North Carolina? Walter Jones?

It is a prime example of why you should always stay friendly with republicans (if at all possible, you might be in the company of Sean Hannity, and Homicide comes to mind):

I have found reasonable, honest men and women will eventually, reluctently perhaps too, remember they are reasonable and honest.

The rest of these scam artists, war mongers?

Trial in the Hague.

Hanging en masse.

I'm thinking they don't understand the trail of evidence they leave daily can lead to a trial the size of Nuremburg.

Powell? You left too late. All of this administration is corrupt to the core.

Needs excising, and no, Bushthemalecheerleader, that ain't bicycling.

6/13/2005 11:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could have seen the expression on the aide to Hillary's face when you suggested ditching Israel. I bet he or she isn't going to bring that one up to the boss. Hillary is totally in AIPAC's pocket, as her recent speech showed.

For an interesting article on Jewish and Arab lobbying groups, see:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/US-Israel/lobby.html.

6/14/2005 08:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home