Friday, May 19, 2006

Dissent Will Not Be Tolerated

Rep Betty McCollum (D-MN) responds to a threat from an AIPAC lobbyist with a letter. The threat was made in response to Ms. McCollum's vote against restricting humanitarian aid to thethe Palestinian, and thereby placing them on a "diet".

Remember, per capita GDP of Palestine is around US$1,000.


Mr. Howard Kohr
Executive Director
American Israel Public Affairs Committee
440 First Street, NW; Suite 600
Washington, D.C. 20001

Dear Mr. Kohr:

During my nineteen years serving in elected office, including the past five years as a Member of Congress, never has my name and reputation been maligned or smeared as it was last week by a representative of AIPAC. Last Friday, during a call with my chief of staff, an AIPAC representative from Minnesota who has frequently lobbied me on behalf of your organization stated, "on behalf of herself, the Jewish community, AIPAC, and the voters of the Fourth District, Congresswoman McCollum's support for terrorists will not be tolerated." Ironically, this individual, who does not even live in my congressional district, feels free to speak for my constituents.

This response may have been the result of extreme emotion or irrational passion, but regardless, it is a hateful attack that is vile and offensive to me and the families I represent. I call on AIPAC to immediately condemn this un-American attack and disavow any attempt to use this type of threat and intimidation to stifle legitimate policy differences. I will not stand to be labeled or threatened in a manner that questions my patriotism or my oath of office.


But here is the kicker:

You and your colleagues at AIPAC have the right to disagree with my position on any piece of legislation, but for an AIPAC representative to say that I would ever vote to support Middle East terrorists over the interests of my country will never be tolerated by me or the families I serve. This incident rises to a level in which a formal, written apology is required.


The truth is, Rep McCollum, that you are supporting the interests of your country over the interests of a foreign nation. I only wish others would do so as well.

Link

1 Comments:

Blogger Puckpan said...

Here, here!!

This is one Republican who wishes he lived in Minnesota so he could vote for Ms. McCollum.

5/20/2006 06:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home