Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Judith Miller Everywhere

If it is a reporter's job to go where the action is Judith Miller certainly was doing hers. Whether reporting false stories of WMD or impugning the credibility of people exposing the false information used to take us to war, she is there.

She also is visiting Israeli prisoners who later accuse the Israeli's of torturing them.

Bridgeview used car salesman Muhammad Salah recalls being beaten, housed in a "refrigerator cell" and threatened with rape by Israeli soldiers until he admitted to bankrolling overseas terrorists, according to a new filing in U.S. District Court.

In an odd twist, the interrogation was witnessed by embattled New York Times reporter Judith Miller, and defense attorneys suggested Monday the best way for the U.S. government to prove its case -- and prove Salah wasn't abused -- is to call the controversial journalist to the witness stand.

[...]

"When I was not being actively interrogated, I was still forced to remain awake. I was either handcuffed behind my back to a forward slanted child-size chair in a position that caused excruciating pain between my shoulder blades and in my back since I had to balance myself and the chair so I wouldn't slide off," Salah said, according to court records.

"If I was not shackled to the small chair, I was put in a dark, freezing, closet-sized cell in which I could not stand upright, sit or lie down. ... Most of the time, my head was covered with a filthy, foul-smelling hood reeking of urine, vomit and other unpleasant substances."

[...]

Salah -- a naturalized U.S. citizen born May 30, 1953, in a refugee camp near Jerusalem -- has recanted all of his statements to the Israelis. Miller told the Sun-Times in 1998 that Salah did not appear to be a man under duress when questioned and that she believed his recanted statements.


Of course, if it is a reporter's jobs to file accurate reports, Miller fell far short of that goal.

Sun Times

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good link.

Miller's connection to this Fitzgerald/Salah case goes back some time, I think. Assuming it's the same case as the Holy Land Foundation charity case, then Miller was alleged to have originally ruined Fitzgerald's prosecution by tipping the defendants off. (It's all very complicated.)

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/7/7/32155/16929

10/19/2005 07:55:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home